Results tagged “pasta sauce”
When the weekend arrives, the "fast and easy" recipes are filed away, and I look forward to a meal that has been leisurely simmered on the stove, filling the house with comforting aromas. Spaghetti and meatballs is the kind of dish whose excellence seems to be in proportion to the time it spends bubbling on the stove. I am planning a dinner party this weekend, and was wracking my brain for a meal that everyone would enjoy. It didn't take me long to decide on this, my go-to spaghetti, from I LOVE MEATBALLS. (Photo by Ben Fink.)
Continue reading Sunday Night Spaghetti and Meatballs.
- Nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 3 sweet Italian turkey sausages (7 ounces total), casings removed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Two 28-ounce cans tomatoes in juice, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup hearty red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup skimmed evaporated milk
- 1 pound fettuccine
2. Add the tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, rosemary, basil, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly and reduced to about 5 cups, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Add the evaporated milk and cook just until heated through, about 1 minute. Do not boil or the milk will curdle.
3. Meanwhile, in a large pot of lightly salted water, cook the pasta according to package instructions (about 3 mintutes for fresh and 10 minutes for dried pasta). Drain and return to the pot.
4. Add the sauce, toss well, and serve immediately.